sabthebookeater

I sniff books like crack.

Chameleon (Supernaturals, #1)

Chameleon (Supernaturals, #1) - Kelly Oram Book reviews, giveaways, interviews and more at Sab The Book Eater!Reading Chameleon was like a breath of fresh air for me. After reading so many contemporary books I was ready to dive into a world full of supernatural elements and great world building. Chameleon gave me just that.There were a lot of things that I liked about the book. First, I really really liked Dani. She's sweet and spunky at the same time. Since she's the Chosen One, her powers are freakishly ahmazing! Her bestfriend, Russ, calls it supernatural awesomeness. And indeed it is! I loved seeing how kickass Dani can be one time and vulnerable the other because of her power. You'd think being the Chosen One would mean you're awesomeness would be on all the time but that wasn't the case with Dani. I also enjoyed reading the story through her perspective because of her rebel personality. She was up and down and all over the place but I loved it! She was truly a strong and well-rounded character that it was impossible not to like her and her story. Second, I liked the writing. This is the first Kelly Oram book I've read and I was blown away by how smooth her storytelling was and how gripping the plot was. I never felt like skipping pages because it was just that good! The mystery had me gripped from start to finish. You're given bits and pieces of the puzzle along the way but Oram had a way of building up the characters as the story progresses. It's like the more you find out, the less you want to trust anybody -and it was exciting like that! Furthermore, I liked that she incorporated a bit of history and combined it with supernatural beings in one tale. She had Joan of Arc mixed in with vampires, warlocks, witches, werewolves, faeries and the likes. I absolutely loved the world that Oram created in Chameleon! It had the danger of sounding so far out and disorganized but Oram managed to combine all the elements and turn it into something so addicting.Third, and this is the one I'm conflicted about, is the weird ass love triangle. So..... Dani loves her bestfriend Russ, Russ didn't make his feelings clear early on, Dani meets Gabriel (the Seer), things get complicated when Russ goes caveman on Dani, Dani loves both guys but totally not in a Bella Swan kind of way (thank goodness!). Where does that leave Dani? Thankfully, she's smart enough to make the right choice without. I liked how wrong and right the love triangle was, to be honest. It's unlike anything I've ever read. The love triangle was... understandable. What I didn't like was how awkward and annoying it was for most of the story. Russ was the annoying factor, actually. I didn't see his appeal, I didn't feel like rooting for him because he just seemed like a huge douchebag 90% of the time. I know that it was crucial for Dani to make the right choice because it's part of the prophecy but I think it would have been better if the story didn't focus too much on the drama. Russ constantly bitching about Gabriel's role in all of it was too much for me. That and I'd much rather read about Gabriel and the weird way he talks that makes him sound like he's centuries old. That's sexy. I'm serious.If you want a fresh, fast paced and highly entertaining young adult fantasy, you should definitely check out Chameleon. It's a great start for a series that will no doubt be as addicting and engaging.(eARC was provided by author. This review is based solely on my opinion.)

Legend