sabthebookeater

I sniff books like crack.

Root Bound

Root Bound: (Emma & the Elementals) (Volume 1) - Tanya Karen Gough This review and more at Sab The Book EaterRoot Bound is definitely a nice little break from all the Young Adult/New Adult titles I've been reading lately. It's a light Middle Grade read filled with magic, adventure and all kinds of cute!Now what I really liked about this book was the author's attention to detail. Gough did an incredible job at describing everything and everyone. Sometimes I think the descriptions were a bit to long but that didn't really ruin the experience for me; it only made it better. I was able to picture the world of Under and all the places they went. I was also able to imagine how some houses are actually alive because they're rooted to the world below. It was so much fun entering the world that Root Bound was set in. I just love it when a book challenges my imagination! In addition to that, I liked how the adventures were told in such a way that the story picked up at key parts and it slowed down at the appropriate times as well. The author's storytelling is really something.She also did an amazing job creating characters who were so much fun to read and added substance to the story. First we have Emma, of course. She's an easy-going kid who's quite the pushover when it comes to bullies if you ask me but of course she was able to rise above that (not a spoiler, you just know it's bound to happen). At first I didn't like her very much because she seemed a bit generic to me but once she was with the brownies and all the magical folk, she was such a delight! I also liked the basement brownies so much. I didn't have the faintest idea what they were prior to reading Root Bound but I was able to picture them because of the descriptions given and the way they spoke. I Googled basement brownies and turns out my imagination was spot on. They're the part of the story that I refer to as "all kinds of cute." They had such varied personalities and I think they really added more magic to the story.One other thing I liked about Root Bound was the Greek/Roman mythology tie-in. I happen to enjoy Greek/Roman mythology so I think that's definitely a plus. All kinds of folklore were incorporated in the story well and it didn't appear like an unfortunate mash of everything all at once.If you're up for a Middle Grade read filled with adventure and magic, Root Bound is for you. You'll never be bored because you'll definitely enjoy the world that Tanya Karen Gough has created!***I received an e-copy of this book for review.*** This review is based solely on my opinion.

Legend