sabthebookeater

I sniff books like crack.
Exhale - Jennifer Snyder This review and more at Sab The Book EaterI'm a cover junkie, I'm not gonna lie. I was originally drawn to this book because of the pretty cover. The blurb scared me a bit, really, because I felt like it's going to make me cry.It did, actually. It made me cry.So I was in class, right. And I totally wasn't paying attention to my classmates who were doing their presentation in front. I was reading from my tablet, totally engrossed. Then it got to the part where Jennifer Snyder unleashes her super writing powers... and I cried. I freaking cried. In class. I had to hide my face a bit so no one would notice.It was a really short read but I was amazed at how much emotion was in it! That alone is proof that this is a good book. I always love a book that can make me feel without being overly dramatic. The tragedy in this book is drama in itself but it wasn't over the top; there were no exaggeratedly long paragraphs filled with unnecessary descriptions of all the "feels" the main character was feeling. I just loved how well written Exhale is.Snyder's an amazing writer! There's something about her writing that's simply captivating. This is the first book of hers I've read so I had to do a bit of research on Goodreads and apparently, she's really good at making people cry... and she likes it.I think the only thing that I didn't like about this book was Katie herself. I didn't feel entirely drawn to her character, the way I was with the twins. I just felt like Katie's essence was just focused on the twins so her personality went kapoot. I loved the Conner twins though! They were the typical kind of twins, their differences obvious. I love their contrast and I love how they expressed their feelings for Katie. At first the story reminded me of Jenny Han's The Summer I Turned Pretty wherein the girl grew up with twins and was pining for the twin that didn't want her. But then Kyle spoke and all comparisons were shot down. Let's just leave it at that. I liked Kyle more though, I just tend to gravitate towards the more outgoing, cocky twin whenever I read stories that involve twins. LOL. Derek on the one hand was rather shy or just plain timid. He's cool too though and I enjoyed reading how touchy feely he is around Katie. Heh. The twins were such a delight to read! I just wish it was longer though because I felt like the Katie and Derek's relationship needed more time to develop. Everything happened so fast! I know they grew up together and Katie wanted him so badly, but come on! We want a bit of build up - it's the stuff that gives us butterflies in our stomach. But whatever, the story progressed nicely anyway. If there was anything that was natural in this story, it was the way Katie and Derek handled the situation and went through it together. I love how their emotions were put into play and how realistic everything was. Ahhhh- all the feels indeed!Exhale was a quick, nice read filled with emotions lots. It's well written and it's definitely worth reading. I can't wait to read another book by Jennifer Snyder. :-)

Legend