sabthebookeater

I sniff books like crack.
Terra - Gretchen Powell This review and more at Sab The Book EaterI'm not going to lie, the first thing I liked about Terra was the pretty cover. The synopsis didn't really do much for me but I decided to give it a try because I love dystopia novels. I'm glad I did though because I enjoyed this book a lot!What I liked most about this book was the original spin the story took. I don't know how else to describe it without spoilers (honestly there are a lot of things I can't say because of spoilers) but I can say this - it's definitely something. At a time where a lot of young adult dystopia novels are starting to have more or less the same premise, Gretchen Powell was able to fuse an entirely original story with the usual (and essential) overthrow-the-government-let's-revolt plot. I like how creative it all was. It's always nice when an author brings something new to the table.Aside from that, I liked the overall world-building. It's highly important in dystopia settings to make the world they live in imaginable for readers and I think the author was able to do just that. I liked how everything was described in detail. Furthermore, it was easier for me to grasp the gravity of the crisis because the very system that they lived in was embodied by a definite antagonist. This may not be a big deal for most, but to me it is. Often I find it hard to really get into the story when I don't see a concrete embodiment (i.e. a leader) of the upside down system their world is operating. Now in Terra, even if the antagonist wasn't as visibly notorious as President Snow of The Hunger Games trilogy, at least there was a villain.The only thing that hindered me from giving this a 5-star rating were the characters, particularly Terra and Adam. I think separately, they're cool. But together... hmm. I just felt like they needed more time to develop together, you know, to give their relationship/love/whatchamacallit better grounding. I felt that they were fully developed towards the end of the book and it was a little, just a little, late for me. I think if it happened sooner, the insta love would've made more sense.Overall, Terra gave me what I wanted: a cool and unique plot, (budding) romance, and one hell of a cliffhanger - YES. A cliffhanger (of course). I always look forward to gripping cliffhangers because it ties up the whole experience for me. If an author can leave me hanging then that means I enjoyed the story enough for the cliffhanger to affect me. Terra has a cliffhanger alright! One that'll leave you wondering and annoyed... because you'll have to wait months before book two comes out. The anticipation is killing me. It is driving me nuts not knowing if my theory's right!So if you're looking for your next dystopia read, try this on for size. It'll definitely keep you entertained from start to finish. ;-)***I received an e-copy of this book for review.*** This review is based solely on my opinion.

Legend